Director of External Affairs
Marin Theatre Company (MTC) is seeking a collaborative, enthusiastic, and creative thinker with exceptional leadership skills and a demonstrated history of relevant experience to serve as its Director of External Affairs. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of External Affairs will lead MTC’s development, marketing, and education and outreach departments and will be responsible for generating the revenue required to support the growth and advancement of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage daily operations, create long-term vision and goals, and intentional strategies for the company’s revenue-generating and communications initiatives.
- Direct innovative high-level fundraising efforts that enable the organization to raise significant gifts from new and existing donors and prospects.
- Advance and execute the MTC’s overall development strategy to meet short-term and long- term fundraising goals.
- Enhance the company’s major-donor cultivation, including individuals, foundations, corporate partnerships, and government relations.
- Play a key role in Board relations and engagement.
- Play a strong leadership role integrating development considerations and effort into all areas of the company including artistic programs, community events, education.
- With key staff, oversee creation and execution of marketing and communications plans. With a goal of expanding participation as well as elevating MTC’s brand/identity awareness, the theatre’s integrated marketing and communications strategy will include advertising, public
relations, digital and social media efforts as well as forming new strategic partnerships.
- Enhance the audience, donor, and community experience.
- Further the theatre’s efforts to reach and engage new and more diverse audiences.
- Grow and analyze data-driven research to help inform fundraising and marketing initiatives to drive revenue growth through donations, memberships, and ticket sales.
Experience and Skills
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Background in development at various levels, proven fundraising history, and capacity to formulate both traditional and entrepreneurial strategies.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Experience working successfully and collaboratively with a Board of Directors, senior management, and professional colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to guide and implement effective strategies and tactics for marketing, social and traditional media, and public relations.
- Proven track record soliciting major gifts, building, and cultivating relationships, and leveraging a strong network of contacts.
- Successful experience managing external relationships and technical-support teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills – ability to build consensus across internal and external constituents.
- Experience in establishing clear direction, operating against objectives, and meeting deadlines.
- Strong management skills. Experience in both leading teams and in working
collaboratively as part of a team.
- Dynamic and enthusiastic leader, comfortable with both the creative and technical aspects of the role.
- High level of resilience and a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of fundraising/ticketing/CRM software systems.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences.
- Experience working in a performing arts or cultural institution is a plus.
Salary range is $90,000 – 100,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, and 403b retirement. MTC embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. Marin Theatre Company is an E.O.E. and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please email a cover letter, resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org; include ‘Director of External Affairs search’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. For more information on Marin Theatre Company, please visit www.marintheatre.org.
Front of House Associate
Marin Theatre Company (MTC) seeks a patient, attentive, and enthusiastic Front of House Associate to ensure all MTC patrons receive the highest level of customer service.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of customer service experience, previous experience working in the theatre/art industry, and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
A proficiency with Spektrix a plus.
Regular Box Office hours are Monday through Friday 12pm-5pm and Tuesday through Sunday 12pm-8pm during productions. Please note that if scheduled to work as House Manager, hours are dependent on the run time of the show.
The Front of House Associate assists with selling tickets and subscriptions in the Box Office. During productions, the FOH associate is scheduled to work either in the Box Office or serve as House Manager during performances and assure that ushers and front of house run smoothly.
Box Office Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customer service in all patron interactions.
- Answer incoming calls, emails, and assist walk-up patrons.
- Sell membership packages, fixed subscriptions, single tickets, and Gift
- Sell and exchange tickets for all performances.
- Attend training sessions, meetings, and other events as needed.
- Oversee the Box Office operations when the Box Office manager is in
meetings, on break, or out of office.
- Assist with any projects that come up throughout the season.
House Manager Responsibilities:
- Conduct usher orientation before each performance.
- Work with Stage Manager to assure play runs smoothly including seating late
patrons and reseating patrons after the show has started.
- Email a House Report to applicable recipients after each performance.
This is a part-time (20-25 hours per week), non-exempt position with a pay rate of $16 per hour, reporting directly to the Box Office Manager. To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com and include “Front of House Associate” in the subject line.
Marin Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regards to race, color, religion, creed, gender and its expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Women and BIPOC candidates are encouraged to apply.