Making a gift through your will or trust is an easy, tax-efficient way to help support the mission of Marin Theatre Company for many years to come. A bequest to Marin Theatre Company can be made for a specific amount, for a percentage of your estate or even for a portion of what remains of your estate once your bequests to family and friends have been fulfilled. Your gift costs you nothing now, and you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that your support for MTC will live on in the future.
Including a gift to Marin Theatre Company in your will – also known as a Charitable Bequest – offers a number of benefits to you and your family:
Just a few sentences in your will or trust are all that is needed. The official bequest language for Marin Theatre Company is: “I, [name], of [city, state, zip], give and bequeath to Marin Theatre Company, tax identification number 23-7018125, located in Mill Valley, California, $_______ (or state a percentage of your estate, or describe real or personal property, including exact location) for its unrestricted use and purpose.”
Because you are not making the gift until after your lifetime, you can change your mind at any time.
You can structure the bequest to leave a specific item or amount of money, make the gift contingent on certain events, or leave a percentage of your estate to MTC.
If your estate is subject to estate tax, your gift is entitled to an estate tax charitable deduction for the gift’s full value.
Completing Your Gift
To include Marin Theatre Company in your will or trust, simply follow these four easy steps.
1. Choose What to Give
- A General Bequest gives MTC a stated sum of money. If there is insufficient cash in your estate to cover the bequest, other assets will be sold for cash to honor your wishes.
- A Specific Bequest gives MTC a particular piece of property.
- A Residuary Bequest gives the “rest, residue and remainder” of your estate, or more commonly, a percentage of the residue after all other bequests, debts and taxes have been paid.
- A Contingent Bequest requires a certain event to occur before the gift can happen. For example, you could bequeath funds to a family member provided that person survives you; if not, the funds would then go to Marin Theatre Company.
2. Decide how you would like Marin Theatre Company to use your gift.
Choose from one of the following three options:
- An Unrestricted Bequest allows MTC to use the assets in the most beneficial way possible.
- A Restricted Bequest allows you to support specific needs such as artistic initiatives, education programs, capital improvements, or leadership retention. Explore MTC’s existing funds or name a fund for yourself or someone you wish to honor.
- An Endowed Request allows you to restrict the principal of your gift so MTC can use only a small portion each year, allowing the fund to last forever.
3. Add MTC to your Will.
The official bequest language for Marin Theatre Company is: “I, [name], of [city, state, zip], give and bequeath to Marin Theatre Company, tax identification number 23-7018125, located in Mill Valley, California, $_______ (or state a percentage of your estate, or describe real or personal property, including exact location) for its unrestricted use and purpose.”
4. Let us know of your plans.
Please contact the Development Department directly to let us know when you have made plans for a planned gift. We would love the opportunity to thank you for your generous act. We are happy to honor your wishes regarding anonymity.
(415) 322-6035 | email@example.com